POSITION: HOUSING REHABILITATION SPECIALIST
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Works with families to understand their housing rehabilitation needs and develops scope of work and strategies for addressing those needs. Participates as a key collaborator in a rewarding and community-based job that works to address the most urgent housing
needs of Madison County residents.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
● Makes preliminary inspection of properties to be rehabilitated and discusses rehabilitation plans with owners;
● Prepares detailed work specifications and cost estimates;
● Inspects buildings and structures in process of repair for compliance with approved plans and specifications and all requirements of all applicable ordinances and laws and rehabilitation standards;
● Assists in securing applications, verifications and related data to building loan or grant application;
● Prepares final work write-ups;
● Monitors progress of construction on rehabilitation work in progress;
● Along with the Program Director, makes final certification on all rehabilitation projects;
● Attends public information meetings to explain the program and meet project area homeowners;
● Works with families and CHC staff to plan and execute volunteer work days
● Lead and train volunteers in construction projects (e.g. deck replacement, roof replacement, bathroom remodel…)
REQUIRED SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
● Ability to work with others
● Home construction expertise
● Experience with materials selection and procurement
● Experience working with faith-based or other types of volunteer groups
● Experience giving direction and guidance
● Experience with explaining home construction techniques to volunteers
● Ability to use common PC-based software
● Ability to give presentations and interact in group settings
● Ability to be firm but courteous
● Have honesty, thoroughness, tact, good judgment, and physical condition commensurate with the
demands of the position.
● Familiarity with Madison County culture and geography
● Certified Lead-based Paint Remediator (preferred)
● Professional Housing Rehab Associate of NC (PHRANC) Certified (preferred)
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Either: (a) graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and five years of experience in building construction work, including one (1) year of experience in estimating the cost of building construction work; or (b) graduation from a recognized college with a bachelor’s degree in engineering or architecture and one year of experience as stated in (a); or a satisfactory equivalent combination of the foregoing training and experience.
HOURS: Up to 40 hours per week. Must be able to work one Saturday a month.
PAY RATE: $15-20.00/hour depending on experience, plus mileage reimbursement
Must have a working dependable vehicle, be able to pass a drug screening, and provide 3 references.
Please email a resume, with references, and cover letter to ChrisW@chcmadisoncountync.org by Sept 19, 2019.
The Community Housing Coalition (CHC) of Madison County, a 501-(C)(3) non-profit organization, does not discriminate in employment or services with regard to race, creed, sex, color, national origin, disability, religion or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable state and federal laws, nor does CHC tolerate discriminatory behavior by its employees, volunteers or clients.